Whether you are a first-time parent or have other children running around the house, being able to track and monitor your baby is a top priority. You want to research and make sure you select the very best one to suit the needs of your family. You also want to have the peace of mind that your monitor comes with a great warranty and technical support. If you will be purchasing multiple devices, having them all bundled from the same reputable company can give you that sense of assurance that they are compatible. In addition to the support team being able to help you with all the devices at once, with different monitors from the same brand you don’t have to worry about any interference or static occurring between them.
Like with every other aspect of our lives, baby safety has a very wide range of technologies to help you “keep an eye” on your baby (pun intended!). With the variety of options out there, it is so easy to get carried away or, alternatively, get lost when shopping for technological baby safety gadgets and aids. The best way to stay on track is to do your research and figure out what you need.
Researching all the different types of models and monitors available can be very overwhelming! First, you need to figure out what each type of monitor actually does before you can decide which you need for your daily routine. Essentially, you need to decide if you want only audio or audio/visual monitors. The audio monitors are simple, basic, and less expensive. They basically just let you hear what is going on in your little one’s room. The audio/visual monitors let you be able to see and hear your little one. These come in a very large variety of models with many different features. There are different size screens, zoom options, some models even come with two-way communication so, in addition to hearing your little one, you can speak back to them with the push of a button.
Another popular option to consider is the baby breathing monitors. They come in a variety of models as well (under the mattress, visual, or ones that are worn as clothing) but these all basically give you the peace of mind that your little one is sleeping and breathing safely.
During your day-to-day routine, you can easily watch and track your baby sleeping or playing through a video monitor while doing household chores, helping older children with their homework, or just enjoying a quiet dinner and a movie with your significant other. In addition to the visual and audio monitor, at night, you can rest assured that your little one is sleeping safely and soundly with a breathing monitor. Using the two-way communication option, you can easily comfort your baby if s/he stirs in the middle of the night without having to get out of bed!
Below are some questions and advice to help you decide what is best for you:
How large is your living space? - This is an important factor to take into consideration in order to determine what range you need your monitor to be able to reach. Some monitors have further ranges than others. If you have stone walls in your house, they can interfere with the RF bands. A solution to that is a Wifi monitor. This will enable the monitor to work anywhere where you have Wifi coverage. There are some downsides to these as well (such as security) so there are many things to consider.
- How many rooms does your baby use? Some baby monitors include only one camera while others come with multiple cameras. If your baby spends time in just the nursery or the living room with you, then one camera might suffice. However, if your little one spends some alone time in the nursery, living room, or the den while you're going about your daily chores/routine a bundle that comes with a few different cameras might make the most sense for you and your family. Otherwise, you would have to move the system around to different rooms each time.
- Consider your daily routine. What does your daily routine look like? If you take your baby to a daycare first thing in the morning, bond and play in the family room when you get home, and then lay them down to sleep, you might not need a camera in your living room. If, however, you stay home with your baby during the day while you move around from room to room, your little one might spend time in the living room alone. For example, you might want to let him/her nap in the living room during the day to get them used to the difference between day and night sleep. In this case, you will want to get a bundle that comes with multiple cameras to place in the different rooms you use in your house.
- What additional devices would you want? Considering your routine, some devices may be used at different times of the day. Contrarily, some devices such as a video monitor and a breathing monitor will both be used at night, and are both wireless devices. Buying devices from the same brand will minimize the chances of them using the same frequency causing interference and static. If the manufacturer offers a bundle, you can rest assured that they will work together.
Babysense offers three amazing bundle packages for video and breathing monitors.
- 2in1 Video and Movement Monitors - $149.99: This bundle offers a video baby monitor with a 2.4″ display combined with a baby breathing movement monitor.
- Bundle Pack – Baby Breathing & HD Video Monitor with 2 Cameras - $218.99: This bundle offers a breathing movement monitor combined with a V65 HD Video Baby Monitor with 2 PTZ Cameras.
- Bundle Pack – Baby Breathing & Split Screen Video Monitor with 2 Cameras - $199.99: This bundle offers a breathing monitor combined with a split-screen V43 video baby monitor.
A few of the many amazing features that these bundles offer are:
- A sound and visual alarm that gets activated if movements stop or become irregularly slow
- Two highly sensitive sensors cover the entire crib area without touching the baby
- Hidden connecting wires
- Easy one-button activation
- Secure interference-free connection
- Two-way talk-back communication
- 2x digital zoom
Even after you have narrowed it down, you will likely find a number of options that have many of the features you are looking for. When you are trying to compare a number of options which, on paper, might seem like they are identical, how do you figure out how to choose one model over the other? How do you figure out what is the best choice for you?
This is the time to resort to the internet and start to read reviews. No manufacturer will advertise their shortcomings, but candid reviews from other customers can be a great place to discover things about a product that you might not think about until actually using it in your home for a while.
Like with everything else you read on the internet, you have to be able to “read between the lines” and find out which reviews are honest and legitimate. While false positive reviews are obviously something you want to be careful of, keep in mind that people are more likely to invest the time in posting a negative review than a positive one.
Below are a few tips to keep in mind while looking at reviews:
- The first thing to think about is where these reviews were posted. The manufacturer's website will likely only post positive reviews. Consumer sites such as Amazon or department stores that carry a variety of brands are more likely to have honest reviews.
- Look at the number of reviews. This is really important. A product with one 5 star review means very little. When there is a high volume of reviews, the average becomes a lot more reliable.
- People tend to not be overly passionate when leaving reviews. If it's over the top, positive or negative, something is fishy. Over the top can include going into too much detail, exaggerating how amazing the product is, or overly bashing it.
- You should also take reviews that are overtly negative with a grain of salt as many are written by competitors trying to lower the rating.
- When reading the reviews, look for qualities that have many things in common. If there are many similarities in the details of reviews, it is more believable, honest, and legitimate.
- If you see multiple reviews that have similar language, writing style, or phrasing - it is more likely that it was written by the same individual and is deceptive and misleading.
You can also always get in touch with Babysense’s customer support with your list of questions and inquiries for professional answers and advice! Get in touch with us via phone at (833) 568-2229, email at email@example.com, or click here for an online support form.